Configuring email accounts that go through your web server requires manual set up and won't simply be created by using the inbuilt Auto Account Setup tool within Outlook. Similarly if you want to receive your emails into another account such as google or hotmail you will need further information to manually set up the account to send and receive emails. This is a step by step guide to setting up your email account using outlook, however, much of the settings will be required with other email applications.
Manually setting up your email account to send and receive emails from your firstname.lastname@example.org account requires the following steps.
1. Open up Outlook and select from the top menu the Tools option. From the drop down list click on Account Settings.
3. A new dialog box will appear called Add New Email Account
4. The selected Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP or HTTP is correct, click Next.
5. Here you need to MANUALLY set up the email account. The email accounts come via your website and as such will not be found automatically. Check ‘Manually configure server settings or additional server types’ and click Next.
6. Choose email service - select Internet E-mail (this should already be checked) - click Next.
7. The next dialog box to open allows you enter the settings.
- Your Name: - identifies the account
- Email Address: - enter your email address here, eg email@example.com
- Leave POP3 as it is
- Enter mail server details, this will be provided by host. An example would be mail.mywebsite.co.uk. This needs to be entered in both boxes.
- Logon Information - User Name: enter your email address as above here
- Password - enter the password provided for your email account - and make sure the password checked is ticked.
9. Select the ‘Outgoing Server’ and check the box next to “My Outgoing Servicer (SMTP) requires authentication.” Click OK and the box closes.
10. You will still have Internet Email Setting dialog box open, you now click the ‘Test Account Settings’ button. This will send a test email to verify everything works.
11. Now click Next and then Finish and your email account will now be set up.